This month #BundtBakers is celebrating the end of spring by baking bundts with lemons as the theme. I really love this theme as my biggest “issue” with dessert is that it can be too rich and heavy, but the use of lemons (and citrus) makes cake feel light and bright. Perfect for the upcoming summer season. A big thank you to Anne of From My Sweet Heart for hosting this month.
I know I’ve said this before but this cake might be my favorite one. It’s so bright, light, and addicting! The tart lemon glaze I made in lieu of frosting gives it that “one more bite” quality. I decided on a glaze so as to not hide the beautiful design of my awesome star bundt pan! There is one person who wasn’t interested in my cake though – the 11 month old in my house. I thought it’d be a good idea to slowly introduce him to sugar so he doesn’t get sick on his birthday. I’ve given him a couple bites of cookie – which he loved – but this cake didn’t pique his interest at all! We offered it a couple of times and he simply turned his head and pushed the fork away. The kid doesn’t know what he’s missing!
As much as I would have loved to eat that entire cake by myself I thought it would be smarter to share the love. With people who earned the extra calories! The first Friday of every month my husband’s Crossfit gym invites family members to watch the workout and join in a potluck. We came home with just two pieces of cake left – and had we stayed a little bit longer my plate would’ve been just crumbs.
Lemon Buttermilk Bundt Cake with Tart Lemon Glaze
- 1/3 C room temperature vegetable shortening
- 2/3 C vegetable oil
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/4 C flour
- 1 1/2 C cake flour
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C buttermilk
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 C powdered sugar (you could increase this amount depending on juiciness of lemon and desired tartness of glaze)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heavily grease bundt pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together shortening, oil, and both extracts. Add in eggs, one at at time. Mix in the lemon zest.
- In a large bowl sift together both flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Switch stand mixer attachment from the whisk to the paddle. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the stand mixer and mix until combined. Add half of the buttermilk and mix until combined. Repeat with another third of the dry ingredients, the rest of the buttermilk, and finishing with the last of the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into greased bundt pan. Bake 50 – 55 minute, until a cake tester comes out cleanly. Allow cake to cool in the pan.
- Make the glaze: Whisk together lemon juice and powdered sugar. Pour over cake before serving.
*The cake recipe is adapted from Barry at http://www.rockrecipes.com/lemon-velvet-cake/*
And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month:
Bee’s Knees Lemon Honey Bundt from Food Lust People Love
Blueberry-Lemon Breakfast Bundt from Cali’s Cuisine
Bundt Cake de Limón from La Mejor Manera de Hacer
Eggless Lemon Bundt Cake from Seduce Your Tastebuds
Extra Lemon Bundt Cake from Los Chatos Chefs
Lavender Lemon Cake from Magnolia Days
Lemon & Lime Cheese Bundt Cake from Un Mordisco Un Pecado
Lemon Apple Upside Down Bundt Cake from Simply Veggies
Lemon Basil Bundt Cake from Tartacadabra
Lemon Bundt Cake from Recipes, Food and Cooking
Lemon Confetti Bundt Cake from Our Good Life
Lemon Curd Bundt Cake with Lemon Glaze from I Love Bundt Cakes
Lemon Honey Bundt Cake from Brunch with Joy
Lemon Marble Bundt Cake from Jenny and Sweets
Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake from Liv for Cake
Lemon Poppy Seeds Bundt Cake from La Cocina de Aisha
Lemon Poppyseed Bundt from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Lemon Rhubarb Bundt Cake from From Gate to Plate
Lemon Ricotta and Poppyseed Bundt Cake from Spice Roots
Lemon Ricotta Bundt Cake from Love and Confections
Lemon-Cranberry Poppyseed Bundt Cake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
Mini Limoncello Bundts from Living the Gourmet
Pink Lemon Pound Cake from Making Miracles
Pink Lemonade Bundt from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Rhubarb Pound Cake Bundt with Lemon Glaze from Brooklyn Homemaker
Soft Lemon Rosemary Bread from Passion Kneaded
Spring Strawberry Lemon Bundt Cake from Adventures in All Things Food
Strawberry Lemonade Bundt Cake from Baking and Creating with Avril
Sweet Lemon Bundt with Blackberry Glaze from From My Sweet Heart
All recipes and photographs can be found on our individual blogs, on our Pinterest board, and the #bundtbakers homepage.